Friday, December 9, 2011

Bishop's Storehouse

Dear Shad,

Today Grandpa and I volunteered at the Bishop's Storehouse. The Bishop's Storehouse is like a little grocery store where people can come and "shop" for food when they don't have any money to pay for it. Their bishop at church gives them a paper that says what groceries they can get. When the doors opened at 8:30 AM there was no one there for us to help so we got to go in the back room and get food ready for the people who would come. We got to package fruit and vegetables. Grandpa helped put celery in bags and I helped with the tomatoes. When we ran out of tomatoes they told us we could do broccoli, but that first we had to shake the ice off of it. I said that sounded exciting so I got the job.

It was exciting, but very, very cold pulling the broccoli out of all that ice. A man found me some gloves to wear after awhile, but they got wet really fast and so it was still cold. It reminded me of when I was a little girl and I would go out and play in the snow. My fingers would get so cold and then I would come in the house and run cold water on them in the sink. I always thought it was funny that the cold water felt hot. When I was all done shaking the broccoli I went in the bathroom at the Storehouse and ran cold water on my cold hands. It still felt hot like when I was little.

These are the boxes of broccoli after we got it all packaged and ready for the people to take home.

There are also some boxes of oranges behind the broccoli that I bagged too. I also bagged apples. Lots and lots of apples. Big apples and little apples.

Grandpa and I got to help people put groceries in their shopping carts too. We had a paper that we got to mark with a red pen to make sure the shoppers got everything they were supposed to. Then we helped them take their groceries to their cars. It was fun to get to help all the people.

What did you do fun today?

Love,
Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment